));
RSS

What's Cookin'?

Almost all of the shopping I do is at the souk. If you don't know, the souk is this HUUUUUUUGE place to buy everything: fresh produce, cell phones, curtains, donuts, socks, bootleg DVDs, plastic baskets, knockoff cologne, scarves, prayer rugs, herbs, spices, Moroccan lamps, clothes, jewelry, books, baby stuff, new and used furniture and household things, whatever. It's like the Mall of America of farmer's markets and rummage sales put together. It's kind of like walking into eBay.


My husband goes there and buys all of the fresh fruits and vegetables for us and eating organic food is now what 95% of my diet is made up of.  This has forced me to learn how to cook EVERYTHING from scratch. There's no pre-packaged foods, no microwavable snacks, no Hot Pockets, no frozen pizzas, no ranch dressing mix to season dips with, zero. I've been forced to be more creative with my cooking and we don't have an oven so I have to really rack my brain to come up with dinner 7 days a week. We eat tagine for lunch everyday and that's easy and delicious to make but dinner is a different issue.


Most days I search online for recipes and I found a few good soup recipes that I've combined together to make my own. If you keep reading, I'll teach you how to make a really really easy soup in 5 steps that's perfect for winter time.






Make this tonight!








Here's what you'll need:

I didn't realize this when I took the picture, but my veggie
arrangement looks like a chick with big Botox carrot lips!



2 carrots
1 onion
2 or 3 potatoes
1 apple
fresh parsley (you can use dried but fresh is way better)
about a cup of milk
a big spoonful of flour
3 Laughing Cow triangle cheeses (or maybe French onion dip if you don't have those)
salt, pepper, spices ( I used paprika, cumin, and "Italian Seasoning" )
a little bit of butter to sautee with

This makes about 4 medium bowls.







STEP ONE:


Chop the vegetables and apple up. I leave the skin on the apple but I peel the potatoes and carrots of course. Cut the onions fairly small so you don't have big ol' honkin' chunks in your soup.


STEP TWO:
Sautee the carrots and onions in butter and sprinkle a little salt in there. It makes them softer and adds a better flavor to your soup.












While that's cooking, chop up about this much parsley:












STEP THREE:
Put the onion/carrot mix in a big pot and dump in potatoes, apple, and parsley. Pour in water till almost the top of the vegetables. Add your salt and pepper, paprika, and Italian seasonings. Or just use whatever you like. If you think it would taste good, it probably will. Let it cook on medium and stir it occasionally.












STEP FOUR:
About 15 minutes into the cooking, stir about a cup of cold milk with a big spoonful of flour in a separate bowl. This is not rocket science and it doesn't need to be perfect. Just stir it up so it's not lumpy. Then add it to the soup and stir it in. It should look like this:












STEP FIVE:
Taste a potato. Is it done? If it is, add the 3 cheeses and stir them in. If it's not done, wait a few more minutes and when it's ready, add the cheeses. Stir them in and let the soup cook for about 5 more minutes.  












If it's not as thick as you like, add more cheese or milk/flour. Sometimes when it's cooking, I occasionally add water as needed. Just use your head. If it's not soupy enough add water and thicken it as you like. Enjoy!



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Marie Loerzel said...

Yum! I just made a tomato/eggplant/basil soup that the family loved (even the kids).